Wednesday, February 20, 2008

MetsGeek, and Steroids

I got another instant classic up over at the MetsGeek.  There hasn't been a whole lot of action since the Santana signing, and I was kinda stuck for an idea.  I ended up writing something about Jim Bouton's baseball memoir Ball Four.  It's a great book, not just a great baseball book.  Anyway, it's been up for a day or two now and I got no comments, so either my analysis was so very, very insightful that no further comment was necessary; or else the 'Geek audience thought it was boring.  Oh well.  They can't all be winners.

Anyway, one thought about the current Roger Clemens kerfuffle.  Roger seems to be digging himself a deeper and deeper hole with each increasingly implausible denial, but refuses to admit what 95% of us believe already -- that he took steroids*.  His problem, and Barry's too, is that Roger is so used to winning that he can't concede that he's losing this battle, both in Congress and in the fans' hearts.  Someone so far out at the end of the talent curve -- and make no mistake, steroids or no, Roger Clemens was ridiculously talented -- is almost by definition crazy.

Less talented players, like Pettitte or Knoblauch might find it easier to admit when they're beat because their expectations for their own success are more realistic.

Anyway, if you read this, throw me some love in the comments over at MetsGeek, even if it's just to tell me how much I suck.  It makes me feel like somebody out there gives a shit.


*Steroids here meaning any and all illegal PEDs.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 2:25 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I wouldn't worry too much about it, Jeff. Historical posts over there never draw much attention, regardless of how good they are. Not unless they feature some kind of controversial list or something.

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger The Pirate said...

Fair enough. Next week: Five Reasons Why Your Favorite Childhood Player Sucked, Was Gay.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home